“The Bees Debris” in Laznica, also known as the “Krš ku albina” in the Vlach language, was built on a hill where one can discern the remnants of human activity from the Eneolithic, Late Antique, and Early Byzantine periods. There are indications that this fortification was inhabited even in the Early Middle Ages.

The stone bridge, popularly known as “The Maiden Bridge”, is located in Homolje, on the territory of Žagubica. It was built on the Breznica River, a tributary of the Mlava River in Gornjak gorge. It is about 1,3 kilometers far from Gornjak Monastery, along the regional Žagubica - Krepoljin - Petrovac na Mlavi road. The foundations of this bridge originate from the period when Romans ruled these regions. It has been ruined and renewed several times. The last renewal was back in 1909. A century later, it requires another renewal and protection against further collapse. The name “The Maiden Bridge” was given after a legend saying that a girl died when she jumped from this bridge to prevent the faith of other young girls who were taken to harems by the Turks.  

The Church of Saint George is located in Ribare, a village on the territory of Žagubica, and it represents a cultural-historical memorial of Homolje. It is 1.5 km away from the center of Ribare. In order to get to the church, one has to take the macadam road which is in great condition. It was built near the mouth of the river in Osanica that flows into the Mlava River on pastures called “Šupljaja” ('The Hollow').

The Church of the Holy Trinity is located in the center of Žagubica. It was built in the period between 1873 and 1875. It reflects the spirit of romantic historicism. The church is basically a single-nave building with both an altar and side apses and a bell tower. Spatially, it is divided into an altar, a nave, and a narthex with a gallery over which a bell tower has been built.

About a hundred meters from the Small Church, there is the Metropolitanate or the Big Church with a triconch base and a later added external narthex. The church had a monumental rectangular residence, while the whole area was surrounded by ramparts. The Annunciation, the Small Church, and the Metropolitanate, all being built on a poky area, constitute the monastery complex of the medieval small town of Ždrelo which has been first mentioned in Hungarian sources, such as Castrum Izzdil.

© 2017-2022 Завичајни музеј Хомоља у Жагубици
Трг Јована Шербановића 5 12320 Жагубица

Free Joomla templates by L.THEME